Thursday, July 12, 2012

Almost at The Middle of The Totem. On Our Way to The Top.


Hot damn, Norway is the cats pajamas. Let me just break it down for you guys. Landscape, check. Fresh water, check. Smågodt, sjekk. Røkt laks, sjekk. Bringebær Farris, sjekk. Cool people, check. Crazy 
people, check. One of the best economies in the world, chezzzck. What more could I ask for. I am sure a lot of things, but I'm enjoying this cake for now. The days that have just passed have been action packed. Last week Gunnhild's friends had a surprise baby shower for her. I wasn't in on the surprise and just wanted to stay in that night. I was pretty tired from the last day of working the festival, but I am glad I dragged my ass up there. I had no choice either. Unless I wanted to hear a night of never ending bliss. As well as be the asshole that ruins the surprise, I think not. I had the chance to meet my main man Kenneth. From the, oh so sought after, city of Oslo. Like moving to the city is going to solve any ones problems. Watch the movie Midnight Cowboy. Then tell me that moving to the big city is all that its cracked up to be. Nothing personal to the the guys that I have had the chance of acquainting. Everyone has been really hospitable since my arrival. You know that feeling you get when you rub your feet on a carpet for about 30 seconds. They you run to the metal door knob and touch very slow. Well that is what I felt when I got to talking with this man. It is safe to say, maybe sad to some, that I am still attracted to women. Sorry Ken. You do have class though. Mr.K from the CC has more class then U of T. We decided to take this relationship to the next level. That following Monday, we made plans to go hiking up one of the summits around here. Monday rolls up. "Hey what up Daniel. Its Kenny the Cop from around the block. You still trying to get up these hills today?" I receive in a SMS. I reply, "Does Barack Obama deserve a second term? Sure why not." Little Euro tip. Saying, "Did you get my text?" Doesn't fly around here. All the cool kids are talking that, "Hey did you obtain my SMS?" I don't know, blame Shaggy. So we plan to rendezvous at this gas station. Its a good half way point for both parties. I get some errands out the way first, but this whole time I am thinking to my self. "Man this guy is a police officer." I am a fresh off the boat ex smoker with a rehabilitated knee. This guy is going to run circles around me. While singing bohemian rhapsody. What did I get my self into. So we meet up. I make my voice sound all deep like its going to put me in better shape. "Hey whats up bro. You ready to hit this pin on the head..." I'm just joking. I'm not that much of a loser. He drives up. I hop in. Say whats up to Ken and to the nice dog in the back. Then we hit the black and grey. After a few minutes of both of us trying to remember where this mountain is. In a town that neither of us are from. We finally find it. With a little help from Idun's father. Idun is one of Gunnhild's friend and is Kenneth's girlfriend. We then start on the path of my embarrassment. I then start to get a little small talk going. More like long talk. As I drop the self biography on this poor guy. I didn't know what else to talk about. "So how about Ålesund FK?" I don't know shit about football yet. I'm sure he doesn't know about the NHL either. So lets keep it simple. At this point I am also realizing that I am not the one who is out of shape. The dog is leading the way, I am a close second and my man Kenneth is holding down the back section. Here I'm thinking I was going to have to make up a cardiovascular disorder to keep the pace down. I'm in the clear. All in all, it was a good day. Fresh air, great view, and I am down to do it again when ever. Feels good not to be the caboose of the convoy. It was also good because I knew it was going to be one of the last times in a while I get some down time to hike. The next day I start my new job as head bartender at Sagafjord Hotel. I talked about the hotel in my last post. Working here is going to be a really great experience. All new crew. So we get to mold this place the way we see fit. With the strong suggestions from the owners and head management. I was put in charge of running the bar, so I am taking the the given responsibility really serious. This isn't Wally World. I told my area manager at Disney that I would never conform. When he was leaving the Canadian pavilion. I wrote to him, "I am sure I will have to conform one day." Truth is, I miss talking with him. I was taught a lot from his character. It is safe to say I have found that day Nicholas. It doesn't feel like conformity. It feels like a union ship. I give the up most respect , am treated with respect, and I respect the company Most important, I don't have to deal with nearly as much arrogance or ignorance. Our opening week was kicked off by hosting the acts for the Trondal Blues Festival. Head lined by Chris Jagger. I think that Dana Fuchs Band should have been the head line but not everyone likes real music. I got to meet and talk with Dana and the Band. Which was cool. I'm sure the five of us were the only people within a 500km radius with North American accents. The papers said that her and the band tore up the spot. Those two weekend nights were insane at the bar. We took in some decent money and made some good publicity. That Saturday night around 01:00 we had decided to stop sale. Being short staffed and some were under trained. It was in the best interest for the hotel. One drunkard decided to pull a funny. I'm sure he was thinking "Hey I bet it would be funny to grab that knife behind that bar and as a joke say you're not going to stop selling the goods!" Let just say I was an idiot for having the lime and lemon knife anywhere near reaching distance. This guy reached over grabs the knife. I, out of instinct, grab his wrist. He pulled back and cuts between my first knuckle and my palm on the inside of my middle finger. Man was I pissed. This guy could not believe it. He was almost in tears, he was so sorry. Needless to say we stop selling alcohol. The cut wasn't that bad and the knife is hidden now. Plus, how could I stay mad at a guy wearing a Canadian tuxedo. Was a great weekend. Work is back to normal. Weekend is coming up. Live, learn and lets do it again. I'm liking the way things are going. The baby is almost here. Much respect goes out to Gunnhild. I know this shit must be tough. Trust me. Its tough enough from this man's eye view I have here. You are doing great. You and us girl. Almost at the middle of the totem. On our way to the top. Its crazy that I'm here right now. From this late 80s baby with all statistical odds against me. Half my family comes from one of the worst cities in the US. Father locked up for the first 12 years of my life. Other half of my family was hanging on by what is now the memory of my Grandmother. Single mother family living in community housing. Kept my head on my shoulders. Got what I wanted, when I wanted and how I wanted it. Hustled and flowed but never let the hustle get the best. Always keep a balance of the opposites. Here is to everything thing that made me who I am today. Just like Non Phixion said, "the future is now." Take care old world.  www.sagafjordhotel.no/    

No comments:

Post a Comment